Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Time flies when you are... Volunteering!

So whenever I get home from work, choir, wherever and have time on my hands I think, now would be a fantastic time to work on my blog... But I could also just sit and read a book or watch a movie... Just for you I took the first step by typing "bl" into the magic white space that teleports you to places on the mystical internet and before you know it I am here, typing away at my blog. I'm as loyal as a dog. One with a mind that definitely wanders from time to time.

So in my absence I have...
~expanded my waistline by feasting at multiple masas with Moldovans (say that five times fast), including Hram (city celebration, think heritage days with twice as much free food and booze aka a masa) with my training host family...
~took shots of vodka and cognac with Moldova's longest standing female mayor, got fed by her mom and sister, danced the hora with her husband (this is NOT perverted, you just kinda do a funny little jig with your feet until you get dizzy, the song stops or someone calls for more shots) and went out dancing for her nephews birthday with a group of people til the wee crack of dawn...
~executed two Halloween parties without drama for students in Rezina and a nearby friends village complete with pinatas (that I thought my host brother would like to help make but didn't because they were too gooey, crazyness I say)... 
~went monastery hopping again fo free with the Rezina choir (yes we sang songs on the bus, yes, it was awesome)...
~hopped on a horse bareback at a monastery in a dress.. got laughed and stared at by local teenagers...whatevers I was in love... 
~filled the shoes of a substitute English teacher for a day at a local school, nearly got eaten alive by 5th graders...I would like to say more but I'll sensor myself... I don't know how you teachers do it...
~introduced myself in front of a full audience attending "Two Hearts", a dating competition held by the youth club I am helping out...
~chaperoned a trip with the youth group one day.. felt more aged than ever in my 23 years to be invited to be that responsible for teenagers... guess this is life as an adult, right?
~helped with a grand opening at a youth center in a different town and became the local beloved artist among a few kiddos and teacher of the games Mancala and Rummikub...
~been referred to as a little Asian (from my little punches and kicks in a taebo class), and have been asked if I am Italian, Romanian and Moldovan... it's awesome.. I'll take the integration (and or) compliments any day...
~enjoyed the wonderful packages of love and warmth from people...(its colder in Wisco then Moldova btw, I should call you the little troopers)...
~spread the love by handing out hot chocolate packets and successfully making pecan pie (big shout out to my mom on that one- there are no pecans, brown sugar or corn syrup in this country!) and corn bread for a Peace Corps thanksgiving with 15 volunteers, a German and a three room apartment...
~helped out Help Portrait in the capital the day after giving thanks with my homies... this was the first time a movement/activity like this has happened in Moldova (I made it onto their homepage!) and got warm and fuzzy feelings from it...
~got laughed at for wearing my mittens one day last week... I read that as, "it's too early" in Moldovan interpretive language
~received a call at 8 in the morning from a Moldovan on an unrecognized number announcing who just became the United States' president and wanted to hear my reaction... that was really neat... its was this old guy who pays the accordion or something in this guys traditional folk group and is a mad table tennis player...
...and...
watched the Nutcracker Ballet (for about 10 bucks) with three friends followed by a dinner WITH LETTUCE!!! 

So yes, besides being served the cold chicken chillin in its own chicken jello, the dark nights starting at 4, squatting in holes, the nasty diesel vodkas I've had to drink and the experience with the evil 5th grade monsters, I have many things to be thankful for here and back at home. I really like how much volunteering I have been doing lately since starting my job as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Da, its ironic I say that but during training and the beginning of my days at my job (trust me, it feels, and is, just a typical desk job) at the NGO, I felt like it was time either dedicated to learning the ropes or following the ropes. No warm fuzzies. No off to save the world one small step at a time moments. Just whatever. Now the fun stuff is finally starting.

The next month will be busy with visits to Orphanages for Christmas, more time with the youth club here in Rezina and at my friends' youth center, a choir concert, a visit from the tv station at choir this Thursday and a possible cheap getaway to Romania  I guess to add to this cheesey casserole I'll finish by saying I am still happy to be here and love that this is what my life is right now, full of new friends and random conversations, volunteering and giving a LOT, a good group of Peace Corps friends to help not ever feel homesick (besides in my dreams) with new events and adventures turning up every day. 

I think a life filled with warm and fuzzies keeps you feeling warm and fuzzy. Its too bad more people don't see it that way or have that sort of mindset just a little bit. (I know parents you will read this but luckily) I have my parents to thank for the volunteerism mindset. And 4-H. I think if you don't grow up with the willingness and time set aside from your life to give back, you may never really give back and spend more time munchin in front of the tube or computer rather then with your community or the world.
(: Food for thought :)

Anywhos... I have photos.. for the future.. Its almost midnight...

Happy late Thanksgiving, hope your festivities were as great over there as they were over here!!


Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment